JUST PUTTING IT OUT THERE – THE NEXT BIG CHALLENGE.

 

JUST PUTTING IT OUT THERE – THE NEXT BIG CHALLENGE.


As you may be aware, after 50 long years of constantly getting up at some unearthly hour, I am due to retire in March 2024 (hooray!!).

As I'll no longer have to drag myself out of bed on a Monday morning and will be able to rest and recover, I'd like to mark the occasion by setting myself (another) challenge, raising more dosh for a charity close to my heart (pun intended).

Since the onset of Persistent Atrial Fibrillation and now Chrontropic Incompetence (exercise intolerance), 10K or half marathon runs might prove a little too difficult, so I thought about a longish walk – but one that would mean something special to me.

Following my heart attack in Dec 2016, I was treated at Harefield hospital before attending my 2nd round of cardiac rehab classes, again held at Wycombe hospital. Everything I have achieved since can be traced back to these two events.

So, my idea is to walk the 22.8km (14.2 miles) between the two hospitals, ideally finishing at Ward 4A in Wycombe where the rehabilitation unit is based (this would mean climbing 108 stairs up the tower block to the finish - if I can get permission!).


My preferred charity would be Hearts & Souls (as always). Hearts & Souls are a local voluntary run charity based in Wycombe hospital that help fund equipment and training for the excellent South Bucks cardiac rehabilitation classes, which in turn help around a 1,000 patients to recover from cardiac events each year. The charity is still in a transition period following Covid and there had been a reduced demand on their funds, although this is starting to pick up again with the rehab trying to catch up with a severe back-log of patients caused by Covid .... plus it would be a nice way to kick-start the charity fund raising drive again.



An alternative could be the Arrhythmia Alliance who provide support, information, education, and awareness to all those affected by or involved in the care of cardiac arrhythmias such as atrial fibrillation (AF) and this proved to be an invaluable aid during my recent cardiac ablation - AF has effected and changed my life over the past two or three years.

 
At the moment this is just an idea but I wouldn't fancy attempting it on my own, so I will be looking for some company and support on the walk, without it, it really is a non-starter. I will probably also need transport to Harefield (I don't think they'll lay on an ambulance this time) and possibly some-one on standby as a rescue vehicle - anyone up for it?


As a side note, if I do this soon after retiring it would be approx 3.5 years since my last big challenge, the 'Maidenhead half marathon', which was 3.5 years after my heart attack which was 3.5 years after my first stents and angiogram - spot a pattern???


My full story - from heart attack to half marathon:

Part 1 - That fateful day. (Phase I - heart attack)  click here
Part 2 - Back home & drama at White Hart Lane. (Phase II - home recovery)  click here
Part 3 - They tried to make me go to rehab, I said yes, yes, yes please. (Phase III - cardiac rehabilitation)  click here
Part 4.1 - Getting FFITer and Harefield & Heartbreak hill revisited (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style)  click here
Part 4.2 - Walking for heart & soul & finding parkrun (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style)  click here
Part 4.3 - End of year 1 round-up and assessment (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style)  click here
Part 4.4 - Falling heart rate: fitter or hibernation? (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style)  click here
Part 4.5 - Pain in the bum, going senile and sub 30! (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style)  click here
Part 4.6 - Sub 29, attack of the AKI and 1 year old (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style)  click here
Part 4.7 - Pushing the boundaries (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style)  click here
Part 4.8 - Bling, bling, bling, two 10K's and a 5K. (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style)  click here
Part 4.9 - 3 Years On, Ragged Radnage and Pete's bolus journey (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style)  click here
Part 4.10 - Coping with COVID-19 and what they say (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style)  click here
Part 4.11 - Living in the lock-down (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style)  click here
Part 4.12 - Plus and minus 3.5 years; heart attack to half marathon! (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style)  click here
Part 4.13 - Is it worth the risk? (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style)  click here
Part 4.14 - Mixed bag through Covid (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style)  click here
Part 4.15 - Getting back in the groove (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style)  click here
Part 4.16 - Reintegrating back into society (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style)  click here
Part 4.17 - Get that crazy rhythm (the low down on AFib) (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style)  click here
Part 4.18 - The 5 year itch, time to cut the CRAP! (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style) click here
Part 4.19 - The last word
 (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style) click here
Part 4.20 - Persisting with parkrun (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style) click here

Part 4.21 - Stuck in reverse (recap of 2022) (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style) click here
Part 4.22 - Starting all over again 6 years on (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style) click here
Part 4.23 - God bless the NHS (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style) click here
Part 4.24 - What I can, when I can (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style) click here

Comments

The rest of the story

Heart Attack to 10K (part 4.1) - Getting FFITer and Harefield & Heartbreak hill revisited

Heart Attack to 10K (part 1) - That fateful day.

Heart Attack to 10K (part 4.17) - Get that crazy rhythm (the low down on AFib)

Heart Attack to 10K (part 3) - They tried to make me go to rehab, I said yes, yes, yes please

RUNNING THE RIDGE FOR HEARTS & SOULS: LOCAL CHARITY APPEAL

Heart Attack to 10K (part 4.23) - God bless the NHS

Heart Attack to 10K (part 4.20) - Persisting with parkrun

Heart Attack to 10K (part 2) - Back home & drama at White Hart Lane

Heart Attack to 10K (part 4.4) - Falling heart rate: fitter or hibernation?