Heart Attack to 10K (part 4.14) - Mixed bag through Covid (End of year 4)

Part 4.14 - Mixed bag through Covid (End of year 4)

(Phase VI - sustaining a healthy life-style)

"Nothings going to happen unless you make it happen."


So, I've made to the end of year 4 (anniversary of my cardiac rehab. heart assessment on 30th Jan 2017 [see part 3]) but this has been far more challenging than expected due to all the restrictions that have tightened and then relaxed and tightened again as Boris tries to control the pandemic since last March, though throughout this period I have in the main remained in my own lock-down and avoided contact with those outside my own household bubble. It has now been 45 weeks since I started 'working from home' and although the vaccination programme has started, I'm not in the first batch for the most vulnerable (over 70's etc) so must wait my turn and hoping by March I might receive my first dose, this will be a year since I last went to work in the office and I'm not even too sure where my desk is now (... and I thought my one month convalescence was long!)

As we entered the new year all I kept reading was conspiracy theories from masses saying they were refusing the vaccine putting some doubt in my mind but thankfully many in the first group seem to be taking up the offer putting my mind more at ease that there might be some hope for the future and a return to some sort of normality.

Just recently I've been getting more and more pee'd off always hiding and long to return to a more normal life of seeing the family, going to footie, running with my mates, enjoying a pub meal etc. without all this worry but I will remain vigilant about exposing myself to this virus until such time as it considered safe, especially now as there is new strain that is more contagious and a higher risk causing a further national lock-down with almost daily more of my personal contacts becoming infected (I wish them all the best in their personal battles).

During one of the brief windows where we were allowed to return to football, after much deliberation I did attend the Wycombe Wanderers v Coventry City match on the 12th Dec. when a crowd of 2,000 was permitted. Though all the safety precautions were as good as could be expected, I did still feel a little at risk even while trying to keep myself to myself [read my concerns in part 4.13].

I selected a seat in the stand behind the goal in block F, my reasoning for this was that I thought as it was furthest block from the entrance there would be less passing traffic, my preference would have been the top right-hand corner as viewed from the pitch, this being the most distant seat from the entrance. I booked early to try to secure my preferred location but wasn't offered a choice of seat and ended up in row A down at the front.

This didn't really bother me as I still expected to be away from the vast majority of people arriving, this was supported by the fact I was in the first time slot which seemed to make sense if the stand was to be filled from furthest end first.

It then disappointed me to find after being one of the first in the stand I ended up with at least half the remaining stand passing right in front of me as the crowd entered from both ends.

The remainder of my time in the stadium was fine (expect for the result!), the crowd mainly adhering to the Covid rules staying in their seats and wearing face covering with one or two exceptions while the stewarding was helpful but unobtrusive.

I left when directed but found that the crowd converged at the gate, and with cars exiting the same time forced most pedestrians to gather one side of the road. Many had by now removed their face coverings making me feel more 'vulnerable' than at any time since arriving. In hindsight it might have been better for me wait until the crowd had dispersed before leaving.

I would have felt far 'safer' if I had been able to pick my own seat and waited at the end but still feel I would need to review my own safety level before attending another match, this is after all another 'unnecessary' risk - but at least I have seen Wycombe play at least one game live in the Championship!

As I've said in a previous blog I don't know how this virus could affect me or my wife and would rather not find out. I agonised long and hard before attending the Coventry game and still not really convienced it was the 'safe' thing to do so it really disappoints me to see some people flout basic simple rules so openly by making unnecessary trips or gathering together and not or incorrectly wearing face masks in public places such as shops (we've devised a game of 'spot the nose'), especially when the restrictions are tightened - it seems to be 'I'm alright jack' and don't they give a damn for anyone else's welfare or circumstances or maybe they just can't see the rising number of cases and deaths? that hospitals are stretched to the limit? or that NHS staff are exhausted? - all impacting the level of care and service they can provide for any treatment.

I received the following message from a close family member and copy it here to highlight the seriousness of the situation that we find ourselves in regarding Covid.

"I’ve heard it first hand and it is not pleasant. Like I said my great uncle died from it on Monday. Yes he had cancer, but he was only ever meant to be in hospital for tests, he wasn’t terminal or anything like that, he had heart problems too as had heart attack in his 40’s. He was fairly fit not overweight, didn’t smoke, didn’t drink; heard him on the phone 2 weeks ago, fine, heard him 3 days before he died and he was unrecognisable. Now in a shut coffin at the age of 61 in the hospital clothes, not embalmed, and can literally have a 20 min if that “funeral” and that’s just a quick thing at crem. Wouldn’t wish it on anyone."

This is just one of a number of cases I have read or heard about and when I read it, I relate to it and think to myself 'that could be me', so I don't want to take any unnecessary risks that could jeopardise my or my wife's health and end up as another hospital case.

Since May when I bought my Kardia mobile ECG recorder [see part 4.11] I have been tracking my episodes of Afib to try and determine if there are any patterns in when and why it occurs. Most of the time I’m fine as I have paroxysmal Afib (intermittent) which happens only occasionally and since May I have experienced 7 episodes each lasting anything between 4 and 96 hours without any obvious triggers, but each leaving me feeling quite fatigued afterwards.

I’m never too sure what is best while in Afib, whether to just rest, light exercise or carry on running through it. My GP advises that exercise can reduce the frequency of incidences but so far I have avoided running or any heavy exercising while in Afib (probably because I lack the courage) but reading through the BHF page does provide some guidance:

"If you have been diagnosed with atrial fibrillation (AF), it’s common to worry about whether you can exercise. It’s unlikely that exercise will make your AF worse. With the right precautions, exercise can increase your confidence and improve your heart health.

If your heart beats faster and irregularly at times, but not at others (paroxysmal AF), it’s better to exercise when this isn’t happening, as you may become more breathless or feel discomfort in your chest. If you are in AF all the time (persistent AF), you can exercise as much as you want, as long as your heart rate is under control, you are stable on your treatment and are feeling well."


Wearing a mask while running is not really an option for me as I can get short of breath at the best of times, this would end up restricting my time exercising which I would find very detrimental to my health, so I mainly trail run in areas where there are very few people and have enjoyed discovering new areas and paths at the weekends around the more remote parts of the Chilterns.

What I have found over the year is these trail runs (when I say 'run' there is a fair bit of walking!) slowly got longer and more regular and supplemented by the odd evening short road run I have run in total 1,023.2km in year 4. I didn't set it out as a target or anything but just a way of keeping active through the pandemic and really amazed but pleased with this achievement, especially when taking into account that this has mainly been without the support I've enjoyed from my fellow runners in previous years. The distance has surprised me and completely smashes last year's 670.8km where I thought I had 'pushed the boundaries' [see part 4.7] when I first started longer runs with members of 'Your Pace or Mine' group, this was in turn was up from 2018 when I managed a paltry 326.9km mainly on parkrun which I started back in Oct 2017, it is strange to think that I probably wouldn't have done this if it wasn't for Covid.



2020 runs (1,023.2km) - the red marks are where I recorded episodes of Afib.

2019 runs (670.8km) - parkrun with some longer group runs

2018 runs (326.9km) - mainly parkrun

The highlight of the last year must be my Maidenhead half marathon challenge [see part 4.12], the first half marathon I have run since 1993 where I raised another £1143.00 in aid of Hearts & Souls bringing the total raised to £4604.00. This was in Sept when the rule of 6 was in place and I was joined by Andy, Kris, Paul, Nikki and Jenny in my largest group gathering of the year, in fact these accounted for half of the total number of people I have met with since the first lock-down begun back in March 2020, the others being Warren, Dan, Ruth and Jo all who individually joined me for the odd run throughout the year. Paul actually joined me for a second time as we ran the 'Attack the Attack' to mark the 4th anniversary of my heart attack on 28th Dec. 2020 to earn the last of my pulsing heart medals. I think that really sums up the past year where you are able to recall everyone you have met up with outside the immediate family ..... ohh, there was the visit to the dentist and Wexham Park hospital as well!

As I publish this blog I have been invited to join the Hearts & Souls committee as a trustee of the charity, I fully support this charity and the service they are providing to local cardiac victims through the cardiac rehabilitation programme. I just hope that I can be of a greater assistance towards this cause which helped to restore my confidence and self-belief following my heart attack and set me on the path to all I have achieved since ..... this is yet another amazing step in an incredible wonderful journey that couldn't have been further from my thoughts 4 years ago.



END OF YEAR 4 ROUND UP:

So, what have I achieved to the end of year 4, the 4th anniversary of my Cardiac Rehab heart assessment on 30th Jan 2017 when I started recording my progress? 




STEP COUNT:

My target this year was to match year 3 and I fell a little short which is a little surprising considering I had ran 452.5km more in this year. The only thing I think I could put this down to is now I'm working from home I tend to be be static at my work 'dining room' table most of the day and although I try to make sure I get out for a walk each lunch time, this is probably less than I was doing during a normal work day.

Total step counts:
Year 1 ...  4,046,492 average 11,086 per day (2023.25 miles) .... target, 4,000,000
Year 2 ...  5,270,911 average 14,440 per day (2635.46 miles) .... target, 5,000,000
Year 3 ...  5,776,020 average 15,824 per day (2888.01 miles) .... target, greater than year 2
Year 4 ...  5,625,239 average 15,369 per day (2812.62 miles) .... target, match year 3


WEIGHT LOSS:


This is just going the wrong way and I can't seem to turn it around. I don't like to blame Covid but being housebound sitting at my dining room table for much of the year can't help, even so, I have tried to remain fairly active as shown above my step count and calorie burn rate (3062 per week compared to 3086 in 2019) at just under last year totals but the main fault probably lies in my inability to control my snacking!


When I started out on this journey I would have hoped to hit the cardiac rehab targets by now, or at least hold a steady lower level so in that respect the last year has been both frustrating and disappointing. I hope by writing this report will renew my determination to get back on track and at least get back to my best results.




Heart attack to 10K pictorial record - click here

Thank-you for reading and I would love to hear your thoughts on any subject I have covered, please leave your comments below or email me at peterjemmett@aol.com


My full story - from heart attack to half marathon:

Part 1 - That fateful day. (Phase I - heart attack)  click here

Part 2 - Back home & drama at White Hart Lane. (Phase II - home recovery)  click here
Part 3 - They tried to make me go to rehab, I said yes, yes, yes please. (Phase III - cardiac rehabilitation)  click here
Part 4.1 - Getting FFITer and Harefield & Heartbreak hill revisited (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style)  click here
Part 4.2 - Walking for heart & soul & finding parkrun (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style)  click here
Part 4.3 - End of year 1 round-up and assessment (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style)  click here
Part 4.4 - Falling heart rate: fitter or hibernation? (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style)  click here
Part 4.5 - Pain in the bum, going senile and sub 30! (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style)  click here
Part 4.6 - Sub 29, attack of the AKI and 1 year old
 (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style)  click here

Part 4.7 - Pushing the boundaries (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style)  click here
Part 4.8 - Bling, bling, bling, two 10K's and a 5K. (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style)  click here
Part 4.9 - 3 Years On, Ragged Radnage and Pete's bolus journey (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style)  click here
Part 4.10 - Coping with COVID-19 and what they say (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style)  click here

Part 4.11 - Living in the lock-down (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style)  click here
Part 4.12 - Plus and minus 3.5 years; heart attack to half marathon! (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style)  click here
Part 4.13 - Is it worth the risk? 
(Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style)  click here

Next:
Part 4.15 - Getting back in the groove (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style)  click here
Part 4.16 - Reintegrating back into society (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style)  click here
Part 4.17 - Get that crazy rhythm (the low down on AFib) (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style)  click here
Part 4.18 - The 5 year itch, time to cut the CRAP! (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style) click here
Part 4.19 - The last word (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style) click here
Part 4.20 - Persisting with parkrun (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style) click here
Part 4.21 - Stuck in reverse (recap of 2022) (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style) click here
Part 4.22 - Starting all over again 6 years on (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style) click here
Part 4.23 - God bless the NHS (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style) click here
Part 4.24 - What I can, when I can (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style) click here

 

Comments

The rest of the story

Heart Attack to 10K (part 4.1) - Getting FFITer and Harefield & Heartbreak hill revisited

Heart Attack to 10K (part 1) - That fateful day.

Heart Attack to 10K (part 4.17) - Get that crazy rhythm (the low down on AFib)

Heart Attack to 10K (part 3) - They tried to make me go to rehab, I said yes, yes, yes please

RUNNING THE RIDGE FOR HEARTS & SOULS: LOCAL CHARITY APPEAL

Heart Attack to 10K (part 4.23) - God bless the NHS

Heart Attack to 10K (part 4.20) - Persisting with parkrun

Heart Attack to 10K (part 2) - Back home & drama at White Hart Lane

Heart Attack to 10K (part 4.4) - Falling heart rate: fitter or hibernation?