Heart Attack to 10K (part 4.13) - Is it worth the risk?

Part 4.16 - Reintegrating back into society 

(Phase VI - sustaining a healthy life-style)

"Nothings going to happen unless you make it happen."

So, it's now been 36 weeks since the start of the first lock-down and I have continued to work at home and stay away from the general population the best I can throughout this period - as far as I'm concerned, I'm still in the lock-down 1!

With news breaking that limited crowds of 2,000 or 4,000 (depending which COVID-19 tier the local town finds itself), can return to football at the end of lock-down next week, this raises its own concerns as to whether it really is safe straight after a national lock-down which was brought in because of an increase in the number of cases. I can understand that non-essential businesses including the hospitality and lower end football industry are really struggling and are in desperate need to get back to some normality, but should that be at the risk of the general population before this virus is brought under complete control?

We are hearing news that we are on the verge of an effective vaccine so do we really want to risk another spike just before it is rolled out? but I guess as it is, it is down to each individual if they feel safe within certain environments.

Wycombe Wanderers intend to run a test match where 1,000 supporters can attend, subject to approval from the local safety advisory group. These places will be offered in order season tickets were purchased and as a season ticket holder I will be in the running, though I doubt I was in the first 1,000 but imagine I will qualify when the crowd limit is increased to 2,000 for the next match. I shall have to judge what precautions have been put in place by WWFC before making my final decision, but I might need some convincing.
 
Personally, I was quite happy not having a choice, this will just result in personal turmoil for me between a strong urge to attend games and concern about exposing myself to an additional risk level, however low that risk maybe. I will hate to miss out watching the team I seen rise from the Isthmian League to being able to watch Championship football here in High Wycombe for the first time EVER, this is a massive thing, Christ, I was there when we beat Leytonstone 3-0 to lift the Isthmian League championship and thought we had reached the pinnacle of what we could hope to achieve. But even if I do qualify, I think I still need to look at the bigger picture.

Both I and my wife fall under the vulnerable group at a moderate risk level and have taken every reasonable care to keep our risk of exposure to a minimum. I really have no idea how this virus could affect us so my underlining approach throughout this pandemic has been 'I don't want to find out how bad it could be' having read and heard of some disturbing horror stories, even from people close to me.

This caution really stemmed right back when the pandemic first took hold in March when I was arranging a special birthday run around the 'Attack the Attack' course (walk that led to my heart attack) with a couple of fellow runners from YPOM (Your pace or mine running group) [see part 4.10]. As we made these arrangements, taking precautions to protect me, a nurse within the group 'strongly' recommended not doing this especially taking into account my heart condition. We discussed this amongst ourselves and agreed it best to postpone the run. Even though we took her advice, I think mainly because of our delay the nurse took exception and withdrew herself from the group. Her reaction left a profound effect on me which has stayed with me throughout the pandemic and led to me being very cautious in all my personal contact. This nurse was seeing things first-hand at the early stages and could see just how serious things were before it had become more generally known and I have fully taken onboard her concerns and reaction.

Running has become an incredibly important part of my life and the support I have received through this community right from when I restarted running following my heart attack has been fundamental in my improved health & fitness, but even here with a few exceptions, I have avoided meeting up with others. Likewise, with my own family where contact has been kept to an absolute minimum, the only exception here being a socially distanced family picnic in a local park for my grand-daughters 7th birthday back in May.

We go shopping for our weekly groceries, my wife has tried the home delivery service but finds it difficult to get time slots and besides she is not happy with the substitutes and would rather pick her own fresh food. I am sure this a far higher risk than probably attending a controlled football stadium with limited attendance and I'm not keen on having to go shopping at the best of times, but it is a matter of weighing up what is essential against the added risk just for my own entertainment.

Even though we do our best to keep our 'bubble' as small as possible you just can't keep it completely safe, another higher risk to us is both our son and daughter who live at home work in retail, having direct contact with the general public. I sure that they and their business take every care, but it is another exposure we can't control, so do I really want to add up to another 2,000 bubbles?

Parkrun is another quandary I might have to face should it restart; I consider this to be a far higher risk than attending football so it is unlikely I shall re-join again until there is a proven vaccine. Wycombe Rye Parkrun was key to increasing my running and improving my fitness levels and I didn't want to lose that momentum when it got cancelled. I substituted it by going for a longer lone runs in quiet areas on a Saturday morning and over the pandemic have slowly increased the distance while discovering new paths and areas I not run or even walked before, it has been a great adventure finding new routes while exploring our wonderful countryside. It is quite interesting to see how my running has increased since I first restarted through parkrun in late 2017, then with longer group runs in 2019 when I joined YPOM but it is noticeable just how much more I have run in isolation this year with a renewed determination not to let slip what I had gained over the previous years.

2018 total runs (52 weeks, 326.9km)

2019 total runs (52 weeks, 670.8km)

2020 total runs (44 weeks, 872.5km to date)



Step count:
2017 (year 1) - 4,046,492 (full year - target 4,000,000)
2018 (year 2) - 5,270,911 (full year - target 5,000,000)
2019 (year 3) - 5,776,020 (full year - target to exceed previous year)
2020 (year 4) - 4,774,094 (44 weeks so far - target to match last year)



Heart attack to 10K pictorial record - click here


Thank-you for reading and I would love to hear your thoughts on any subject I have covered, please leave your comments below or email me at peterjemmett@aol.com
 
 

My full story - from heart attack to half marathon:
Part 1 - That fateful day. (Phase I - heart attack)  click here

Part 2 - Back home & drama at White Hart Lane. (Phase II - home recovery)  click here
Part 3 - They tried to make me go to rehab, I said yes, yes, yes please. (Phase III - cardiac rehabilitation)  click here
Part 4.1 - Getting FFITer and Harefield & Heartbreak hill revisited (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style)  click here
Part 4.2 - Walking for heart & soul & finding parkrun (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style)  click here
Part 4.3 - End of year 1 round-up and assessment (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style)  click here
Part 4.4 - Falling heart rate: fitter or hibernation? (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style)  click here
Part 4.5 - Pain in the bum, going senile and sub 30! (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style)  click here
Part 4.6 - Sub 29, attack of the AKI and 1 year old
 (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style)  click here

Part 4.7 - Pushing the boundaries (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style)  click here
Part 4.8 - Bling, bling, bling, two 10K's and a 5K. (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style)  click here
Part 4.9 - 3 Years On, Ragged Radnage and Pete's bolus journey (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style)  click here
Part 4.10 - Coping with COVID-19 and what they say (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style)  click here

Part 4.11 - Living in the lock-down (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style)  click here
Part 4.12 - Plus and minus 3.5 years; heart attack to half marathon! (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style)  click here
 
Next:
Part 4.14 - Mixed bag through Covid (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style)  click here
Part 4.15 - Getting back in the groove (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style)  click here
Part 4.16 - Reintegrating back into society (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style)  click here 
Part 4.17 - Get that crazy rhythm (the low down on AFib) (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style)  click here 
Part 4.18 - The 5 year itch, time to cut the CRAP! (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style) click here
Part 4.19 - The last word (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style) click here
Part 4.20 - Persisting with parkrun (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style) click here
Part 4.21 - Stuck in reverse (recap of 2022) (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style) click here
Part 4.22 - Starting all over again 6 years on (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style) click here
Part 4.23 - God bless the NHS (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style) click here
Part 4.24 - What I can, when I can (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style) click here
 

Comments

The rest of the story

Heart Attack to 10K (part 4.1) - Getting FFITer and Harefield & Heartbreak hill revisited

Heart Attack to 10K (part 1) - That fateful day.

Heart Attack to 10K (part 4.17) - Get that crazy rhythm (the low down on AFib)

Heart Attack to 10K (part 3) - They tried to make me go to rehab, I said yes, yes, yes please

RUNNING THE RIDGE FOR HEARTS & SOULS: LOCAL CHARITY APPEAL

Heart Attack to 10K (part 4.23) - God bless the NHS

Heart Attack to 10K (part 4.20) - Persisting with parkrun

Heart Attack to 10K (part 2) - Back home & drama at White Hart Lane

Heart Attack to 10K (part 4.4) - Falling heart rate: fitter or hibernation?