Heart Attack to 10K (part 4.10) - Coping with COVID-19 and what they say

PART 4.10 - COPING WITH COVID-19 AND WHAT THEY SAY
(Phase VI - sustaining a healthy life-style)

"Nothings going to happen unless you make it happen."

This is a bit of a spontaneous short blog to pen how I'm feeling and coping during this Coronavirus pandemic (it is being written off the cuff so probably not very coherent).

Useful BHF pages:
  • Coronavirus: what it means for you if you have heart or circulatory disease ...... click here
  • What does coronavirus do to your body? ...... click here
  • Coronavirus and heart medication ....... click here
Rainbow by Ellineya
As I write this (02/04/20), the UK has been in a lock-down for 10 days with no telling how long it will go on. This is to prevent the spread of the virus with only 4 valid reasons to leave your home - 1) to shop for essentials; 2) medical need or medication; 3) travelling to and from work when working from home is not possible or you are an essential key worker and 4) daily exercise - meeting with friends or family outside you own household and all mass gatherings are banned so no football, parkrun of family get togethers 😢

Having had a heart attack I, together with my wife who has diabetes, we both fall under the vulnerable category and considered 'at risk' should we contract the virus. This has become of a greater concern as the virus has accelerated with stories coming out that the NHS could be overwhelmed if the spread is not kept in check, this puts an extra fear on being able to receive proper medical care for our existing conditions should the worse happen - I can't say I'm not worried.

I finished my last blog by saying one of my ambitions for the coming year was to 'stay out of hospital' having been admitted for various aliments for each of the last 3 years, that has suddenly taken on a more serious connotation, but I shall be giving it my best shot by sticking to the government guidelines and living a something like a hermit for the foreseeable future! 

At work during the early days I moved desks in our open plan office to move away from passing co-workers and I was then moved again into a separate small office to work in isolation as things started getting more serious, but as the lock-down was imposed I now have my work PC and working from home on my dining room table. 

My youngest daughter Katie has taken on all shopping duties so other than walking the dog or a bit of exercise, like so many others we are stuck indoors getting on each other's nerves.

As you will know from my previous blogs regular exercise has been vital and great benefit in my recovery and improving my health and fitness levels and thereby my immune system, in fact it has become a way of life. I'm doing my best to keep up the same intensity by using my daily exercise to try and get out on my own for runs or walks when I can, though I do find this so much harder without the support and encouragement from my fellow runners, and even the dog has started to refuse to go for walkies! I'm also trying to use the time I would normally be traveling to get on the treadmill for extra sessions so although I'm probably less active during the working day this should help balance that inactivity.

Monday nights WWSET FFIT Xtra is now taking place via Zoom on the internet where we get to see Sam taking us through the normal HIIT training sessions and I'm joined in the garden by an inquisitive dog, it's funny how it is always that much easier when you have some-one barking out orders and I find I really do need that added motivation.

For one of my daily exercises, I was joined by Katie and her boyfriend (who temporary is living with us through this crisis) and together we walked my 11.5km 'Attack the Attack' route [walk that led to my heart attack - see part 1] to support the NHS through the 'Do What You Can' campaign (strava), keeping to the safe distance rule from the few others who were out and about. This just seemed really appropriate after the 2.5 years of superb treatment I received not just for my heart problems but also my prostate, fistula, AKI and bolus impaction as well - the care through all these have been absolutely brilliant.

I had originally planned to run this with a few of my fellow running buddies from the 'Your Pace or Mine' group to help celebrate my 62nd birthday in Mid March but as the situation was changing so rapid we followed the advice from a fellow NHS runner and agreed to postpone it in the hope to try again in either the summer or autumn. Kris had prepared some special medals (complete with a flashing pulse you can speed up or slow down to mimic my own pulse) for the occasion and it pleased me that I was able to award these to Katie and George. I still have a few for future runs but it will have to be this year as they are dated!!


ADDENDUM 13/04/20:

Since publishing this blog I did have a small incident - all my own fault. While on one of my many visits to the toilet during the night I had some odd heart palpitations while trying to strain having a pee (prostate problem), came over all peculiar and collapsed, I think it was only momentary but I found myself on the floor with no memory  how I got there.

The following morning I discover, because of the change in my work routines, that I had forgotten to take my morning medication for the previous two days - these are the ones that effect the heart rhythms and performance and I really don't like missing them (I think with proven justification).

It just goes to show how easy it is to forget things that can have serious repercussions when you change your normal routine. I have now set a reminder on my Fitbit which I have already had to rely on more than once.

Local 'Rainbow Unicorn' fence painted to support the NHS and keyworkers during COVID-19

WHAT THEY SAY:

As it happens, this blog is nearing 12,000 page views so I thought it might be a nice time to share with you what some of my readers have said about it since I published the first part in late Oct 2017 - please do have a read through these as it is all very positive stuff which has kept me going and we could all use a bit of positivity at the moment! - (these are all taken from my testimonials, in order as I received them):


“That's the nicest thing anyone has ever said about my commentaries! Great blog mate” – (Phil Catchpole, BBC 3CR)

“No apology required! Although it’s slightly annoying that your writing is better than mine” – (James Cumming, author of Small Town Dreams)

“Your blog is inspiring me in a way to try and keep my weight off to prevent me having a heart attack" - (FFIT participant)

“Great read, very inspiring" - (FFIT participant)

“Read through a bit pal, it makes you think forever more about being solo without ID in remote places doesn't it." - (Wycombe Wanderers fan)

"I’ve read the latest instalment of your blog, which again is a cracking read" - (Hearts & Souls)

“Just discovered your blog and read all of the posts. I am 9 weeks post HA and 1 stent and is the most scared I have ever been. Your blog is very inspiring and has given me confidence that things will be OK if I continue to do the right things. I am a Leicester City season ticket holder and didn’t attend the last 4 games as was too nervous however looking forward to the new season. Thank you for the read it really has helped” – (Heart patient)

"That's great! Real encouragement to others! Keep it up" - (Heart patient)

"Just read it. Fascinating. I am still in the scaredy cat phase of balancing exercise with fear of too much - Thanks for sharing, I found it a good read" - (Heart patient)

"Really well written and an inspiration to us all" - (Heart patient)

"Thanks so much for your rehab journal found it very informative - Great to read thank u once again" - (Heart patient)

"Yo Peter, I managed to get into your blog! What an inspiration! Thanks so much for sharing all the info about your fitness regime. I doubt I'll ever do as well as you in terms of jogging but I can follow your advice of setting personal goals." - (Heart patient)

"I came to this site, from the States, when looking for information, support, etc, post HA and stenting back in March. Found a lot of information, and found some blogs to follow - yours being one of them! And of the most interest is following your progress of getting out there and actually running 5K's. Something I have not done yet - frankly I hate to run. BUT I stayed in rehab, stayed in the gym and still hit it at the gym at least 5, sometimes 7 days per week. Treadmill, Elliptical, Stair-machine, weights. It gets boring and then I think "but your lack of exercise was probably very contributory to your heart attack, so get off and stay off your butt". Your blog and progress has been one of my inspirations, so I'm saying stick with it. I need your encouragement!" - (Heart patient)

"You've come such a long way in a relatively short space of time. It isn't only your fitness that has so clearly improved, but your confidence, self esteem, pride and unrelenting determination to recover have grown stronger too.
We each have our own reasons for turning to running but being inspired by stories like yours absolutely helps me to keep on running." - (Parkrun participant)

"I'm about to start cardiac rehabilitation after a bypass operation, and this is the first time I've found such a detailed account of what to expect. It's also encouraging to read an honest assessment from someone who is trying to address the lifestyle issues surrounding their illness. It was depressing in hospital to talk to other cardiac patients, who were basically intending on letting medication do the hard work of keeping them well." - (Heart patient)

"Hi Peter. Wow wow wow. I am so impressed with your commitment and your perseverance. I have always assumed I couldn’t run because of not wanting to increase my heart rate above 125 (told that in cardiac rehab). You have done amazingly well. Congratulations and keep it going. Thanks for sharing." - (Heart patient)

“Hi Peter. Well that's one hell of a journey you've been on and congratulations on your impressive progress. I'm particularly interested in your parkruns. My final cardiac rehab assessment was two weeks ago and I'm hoping to try my first parkrun shortly, also down at the Rye. Thanks for the added motivation.” – (Heart patient)

"Hi Peter, really enjoyed reading your series of posts about your journey through cardiac rehab and recovery. Agree your story is incredibly inspiring!" - (Bucks Health Trust cardiac rehab team member)

"You are a star! Shared this with hubby who had HA in 2011 he like you ran 5/10k and went on to run a marathon. I had a HA in May this year. There’s no way I would run that because I have pins and plates in my ankle (that was July 2018 suspect that was the cause of the clot). I do however go to the gym and did boot camp (have had to retire from boot camp since having the HA) life does not end when you have a heart attack it’s just the beginning with an incredible second chance. Your blog is inspirational - thank you!" - (Heart patient)

"Got to say I absolutely love the attitude on your blog of two finger up & get on with it." - (Heart patient)

"Well done, Peter. What you are doing is fantastic and inspirational." - (Heart patient)

"Thanks for your very interesting post. I was very taken with the table showing the improvement in your BMI, waist size and weight and your comments on the difficulties of keeping your weight down." - (Heart patient)

"I love seeing people like you who have been given what I see as a second chance making the most of the life you have. You know how hard others worked to help you recover, and you want to give back however you can.
My dad had a heart attack nearly 4 years ago and sadly didn't survive. I am glad you survived and are doing well. Keep on walking/jogging, inspiring and stay you." - (Facebook friend)

Better, wetter times!


Heart attack to 10K pictorial record - click here

Thank-you for reading and I would love to hear your thoughts on any subject I have covered, please leave your comments below or email me at peterjemmett@aol.com


Previous:
Part 1 - That fateful day. (Phase I - heart attack)  click here
Part 2 - Back home & drama at White Hart Lane. (Phase II - home recovery)  click here
Part 3 - They tried to make me go to rehab, I said yes, yes, yes please. (Phase III - cardiac rehabilitation)  click here
Part 4.1 - Getting FFITer and Harefield & Heartbreak hill revisited (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style)  click here
Part 4.2 - Walking for heart & soul & finding parkrun (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style)  click here
Part 4.3 - End of year 1 round-up and assessment (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style)  click here
Part 4.4 - Falling heart rate: fitter or hibernation? (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style)  click here
Part 4.5 - Pain in the bum, going senile and sub 30! (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style)  click here
Part 4.6 - Sub 29, attack of the AKI and 1 year old
 (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style)  click here
Part 4.7 - Pushing the boundaries (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style)  click here
Part 4.8 - Bling, bling, bling, two 10K's and a 5K. (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style)  click here
Part 4.9 - 3 Years On, Ragged Radnage and Pete's bolus journey (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style)  click here

To come:
Part 4.11 - Living in the lock-down (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style)  click here
Part 4.12 - Plus and minus 3.5 years; heart attack to half marathon! (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style)  click here
Part 4.13 - Is it worth the risk? (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style)  click here
Part 4.14 - Mixed bag through Covid (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style)  click here
Part 4.15 - Getting back in the groove (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style)  click here
Part 4.16 - Reintegrating back into society (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style)  click here
Part 4.17 - Get that crazy rhythm (the low down on AFib) (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style)  click here
Part 4.18 - The 5 year itch, time to cut the CRAP! (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style) click here 
Part 4.19 - The last word (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style) click here
Part 4.20 - Persisting with parkrun (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style) click here
Part 4.21 - Stuck in reverse (recap of 2022) (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style) click here
Part 4.22 - Starting all over again 6 years on (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style) click here
Part 4.23 - God bless the NHS (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style) click here
Part 4.24 - What I can, when I can (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style) click here

Comments

The rest of the story

Heart Attack to 10K (part 4.1) - Getting FFITer and Harefield & Heartbreak hill revisited

Heart Attack to 10K (part 1) - That fateful day.

Heart Attack to 10K (part 4.17) - Get that crazy rhythm (the low down on AFib)

Heart Attack to 10K (part 3) - They tried to make me go to rehab, I said yes, yes, yes please

RUNNING THE RIDGE FOR HEARTS & SOULS: LOCAL CHARITY APPEAL

Heart Attack to 10K (part 4.23) - God bless the NHS

Heart Attack to 10K (part 4.20) - Persisting with parkrun

Heart Attack to 10K (part 2) - Back home & drama at White Hart Lane

Heart Attack to 10K (part 4.4) - Falling heart rate: fitter or hibernation?