Heart Attack to 10K (part 4.19) - The last word.

Part 4.19 - THE LAST WORD

(Phase VI - sustaining a healthy life-style)

"Nothings going to happen unless you make it happen."


OK, I know I said the last blog was (probably) my last, but it didn't seem right to bail out without a final word of gratitude the hordes of folk who inspired, educated, guided, helped, encouraged, bullied and/or even donated to my cause (Hearts & Souls) for over nearly 5.5 years now, but I shall endeavour to keep 'my' drivel as short as possible leaving my readers have the 'last word'.

Having gone from rock-bottom to amazed at what I could do with support to frustrated at my failings as I travelled from the lows of feeling like it was the beginning of the end to the highs of running greater distances than at any time in my life culminating in my first half marathon in 27 years, through to the dip I've experienced fighting fatigue and loss of motivation as AFib takes over my life and knocks me back again, but I'm hoping this is just another blip to overcome and I can come out fighting strong again.

None of what I have achieved would have been possible but for the wide variety of people I met just because of an incident that happened mid afternoon on Yoesden Bank near Bledlow Ridge on the 28th December 2016; from the paramedics, doctors and nurses, cardiologists & urologists at Wycombe, Harefield and many other hospitals, the staff and trainers during my rehabilitation at Wycombe who gave me the confidence and hope that climbing the stairs wasn't going to give me another heart attack.

Then onto Wycombe Wanderers SET FFIT programme together with Sam & Andy and the other participants and then the FFIT Xtra sessions who gave me the tools to make the necessary changes to my life, next was Wycombe Rye parkrun and the volunteers and other runners and their enthusiastic encouragement which got me running again after some 25 years and from that came the 'Your Pace or Mine' group which helped to extend the distance of my running to a level I'd never achieved before. From all of this came the foundation for many new friendships which helped to carry through the more difficult times where it would be so easy to jack it all in. I won't attempt to name individuals as I can never remember names anyway, but there are more folk out there than I can possibly remember and it would be wrong to single out any individuals as you have all in some way been a part of this incredible journey.

Since the return from Covid things have not gone quite the same for me as I have struggled to overcome the constant fatigue & tiredness brought on through AFib with each episode coming ever closer together until this latest event where it looks as if life maybe taking another turn for the worse.


As I joined in the mass party behind the goal at Stadium MK as the Wycombe Wanderers team and fans celebrated a glorious 0-1 defeat that saw Wycombe reach their 2nd League 1 play-off final at Wembley in 3 years, only this time the fans can actually go and it was never in my thoughts that I might doubt my own attendance at the national stadium having missed out on the 'behind closed doors' final in 2020.

AFib rest day
But on arriving home from MK, I went into AFib, and after all the high adrenaline exertions after the match it was not really surprising as following the recent pattern it was about due anyway. My first thought was this was actually good, as I was unlikely to have another episode so soon before Wembley in 2 week's time.

As the days slipped by and so my concern started to rise as at first it it exceeded my 35.5 hours average duration. When it reached 80 hours it now appeared these events were lasting increasingly longer with this being only the 3rd but also the second in the last 3 to go over 85 hours, so I went to my GP to see if he could put some urgency on the cardiologist who I had been referred to during a visit to A&E for an episode in January, since then I have had a further 3 episodes and an echocardiogram which gave reasonably good results to help to ease the immediate worries.

On reaching day 7 the condition moved from paroxysmal to persistent AFib. [see part 4.17], a new level for me so I called 111 and when the paramedic arrived he wanted to double dose my beta blocker, he was flatly refused by his superior so I was taken to A&E at Stoke Mandeville once again and ended up in resuscitation as they checked some oddity in my heart rhythm. The outcome was the I have been cleared of anything serious and as my heart rate is not dangerously high I was not considered at risk and sent home, as I write this I have now been in AFib for 233 hours so far with no sign of it stopping and waiting for a 24 hour ECG monitor to further assess my heart rhythm. I think I'm am now resigned to being in AFib for the visit to Wembley in 3 days time which will be a whole new experience and worry but I'm buggered if I will let this spoil my party!



It's been fun writing this blog and having heart patients tell me how it has inspired their own recovery. From the beginning I wanted to get others to consider about their own health and fitness needs but also raise awareness by sharing whatever I have encountered and discovered along the way.

I will leave you with the words that my readers have shared with me since I published my first blog. These are in the order that I received them and I'm proud of every one of them, please do read through these as they have given me great encouragement over the years and kept me going whenever I've been feeling down - So, it's goodbye from me (until next time).

Is there a light at the end of the tunnel?


Testimonials:

“That's the nicest thing anyone has ever said about my commentaries! Great blog mate” – (Phil Catchpole, BBC 3CR)

“No apology required! Although it’s slightly annoying that your writing is better than mine” – (James Cumming, author of Small Town Dreams)

“Your blog is inspiring me in a way to try and keep my weight off to prevent me having a heart attack" - (FFIT participant)

“Great read, very inspiring" - (FFIT participant)

“Read through a bit pal, it makes you think forever more about being solo without ID in remote places doesn't it." - (Wycombe Wanderers fan)

"I’ve read the latest instalment of your blog, which again is a cracking read" - (Hearts & Souls)

“Just discovered your blog and read all of the posts. I am 9 weeks post HA and 1 stent and is the most scared I have ever been. Your blog is very inspiring and has given me confidence that things will be OK if I continue to do the right things. I am a Leicester City season ticket holder and didn’t attend the last 4 games as was too nervous however looking forward to the new season. Thank you for the read it really has helped” – (Heart patient)

"That's great! Real encouragement to others! Keep it up" - (Heart patient)

"Just read it. Fascinating. I am still in the scaredy cat phase of balancing exercise with fear of too much - Thanks for sharing, I found it a good read" - (Heart patient)

"Really well written and an inspiration to us all" - (Heart patient)

"Thanks so much for your rehab journal found it very informative - Great to read thank u once again" - (Heart patient)

"Yo Peter, I managed to get into your blog! What an inspiration! Thanks so much for sharing all the info about your fitness regime. I doubt I'll ever do as well as you in terms of jogging but I can follow your advice of setting personal goals." - (Heart patient)

"I came to this site, from the States, when looking for information, support, etc, post HA and stenting back in March. Found a lot of information, and found some blogs to follow - yours being one of them! And of the most interest is following your progress of getting out there and actually running 5K's. Something I have not done yet - frankly I hate to run. BUT I stayed in rehab, stayed in the gym and still hit it at the gym at least 5, sometimes 7 days per week. Treadmill, Elliptical, Stair-machine, weights. It gets boring and then I think "but your lack of exercise was probably very contributory to your heart attack, so get off and stay off your butt". Your blog and progress has been one of my inspirations, so I'm saying stick with it. I need your encouragement!" - (Heart patient)

"You've come such a long way in a relatively short space of time. It isn't only your fitness that has so clearly improved, but your confidence, self esteem, pride and unrelenting determination to recover have grown stronger too.
We each have our own reasons for turning to running but being inspired by stories like yours absolutely helps me to keep on running." - (Parkrun participant
)

"I'm about to start cardiac rehabilitation after a bypass operation, and this is the first time I've found such a detailed account of what to expect. It's also encouraging to read an honest assessment from someone who is trying to address the lifestyle issues surrounding their illness. It was depressing in hospital to talk to other cardiac patients, who were basically intending on letting medication do the hard work of keeping them well." - (Heart patient)

"
Hi Peter. Wow wow wow. I am so impressed with your commitment and your perseverance. I have always assumed I couldn’t run because of not wanting to increase my heart rate above 125 (told that in cardiac rehab). You have done amazingly well. Congratulations and keep it going. Thanks for sharing." - (Heart patient)

“Hi Peter. Well that's one hell of a journey you've been on and congratulations on your impressive progress. I'm particularly interested in your parkruns. My final cardiac rehab assessment was two weeks ago and I'm hoping to try my first parkrun shortly, also down at the Rye. Thanks for the added motivation.” – (Heart patient)

"Hi Peter, really enjoyed reading your series of posts about your journey through cardiac rehab and recovery. Agree your story is incredibly inspiring!" - (Bucks Health Trust cardiac rehab team member)

"You are a star! Shared this with hubby who had HA in 2011 he like you ran 5/10k and went on to run a marathon. I had a HA in May this year. There’s no way I would run that because I have pins and plates in my ankle (that was July 2018 suspect that was the cause of the clot). I do however go to the gym and did boot camp (have had to retire from boot camp since having the HA) life does not end when you have a heart attack it’s just the beginning with an incredible second chance. Your blog is inspirational - thank you!" - (Heart patient)

"Got to say I absolutely love the attitude on your blog of two finger up & get on with it." - (Heart patient)

"Well done, Peter. What you are doing is fantastic and inspirational." - (Heart patient)

"Thanks for your very interesting post. I was very taken with the table showing the improvement in your BMI, waist size and weight and your comments on the difficulties of keeping your weight down." - (Heart patient)

"I love seeing people like you who have been given what I see as a second chance making the most of the life you have. You know how hard others worked to help you recover, and you want to give back however you can.
My dad had a heart attack nearly 4 years ago and sadly didn't survive. I am glad you survived and are doing well. Keep on walking/jogging, inspiring and stay you." - (Facebook friend)

"Well done Peter, awesome and inspiring, I’m three weeks post CABG (coronary artery bypass grafting) and cannot wait to get back in the gym." - (Heart patient)

" ..... And don't forget your work, support and contagious can-do attitude to getting up and active, bringing others with you for the journey is as well making a tangible difference to people's health. It's not directly measurable on a donations page, but you must be saving the NHS a fortune, and changing people's lives." - (Parkrun participant)

"Well done Peter, I had a heart attack 3wks ago due to a blood clot, this gives me some hope that life can return to some kind of normality. Glad you're doing well." - (Heart patient)

"A good read (again) Peter, thanks" - (Wycombe Wanderers fan)

"Just a thought, you have written very interesting blogs about your journey to recovery and I'm sure you have inspired others to take the same route. Not only that, you have taken some wonderful photographs. Put them altogether and write a book with the proceeds going to your favourite charity. Xx" - (Facebook friend)

"I think you're incredible .. truly inspiring - where many would have just given up claiming they feel pass the point of no return you turned yourself around completely .. people will want to run with you when you're ready." - (Your Pace or Mine member)

"I so love following your story of your heart battles and do think your story encourages many to seek help when normally they wouldn't. Keep Safe xx" - (Facebook friend)

"Wow. Sometimes its biggest shocks can make us realise changes are needed. The wake up call, and it's how we deal with it - change for the better or play the victim. Good for you" - (Your Pace or Mine member)

"People like you, inspire others to not give up, and keep getting out there, despite adversity, so seriously buddy, I sincerely mean this, you may not think of your stats as particularly impressive, but you’ve actually done way better than most of us who don’t have a health condition!" - (Your Pace or Mine member)

"Thank you for sharing your well written and informative explanation of Atrial Fibrillation. It will be very helpful for newcomers here." - (AFib patient)

"Hi Peter you are right, people have no idea in general about afib, I've been told when during an afib episode and feeling really unwell, to stop been so negative, hmmm that will cure it , lol." - (AFib patient)

"Great blog Pete - thanks for sharing." - (AFib patient)

"Well done that man, keep it up but interestingly I too had a heart event, with me my heart stopped due to an irregular heart beat, after being defined I was treated successfully at St Thomas by having heart muscle ablated, all is well now apart from the odd run of VT and also interestingly I used to be a Nuclear Medicine Department lead at The Royal London performing heart perfusion scans everyday" - (Flickr friend)


Heart attack to 10K pictorial record - click here

Thank-you for reading and I would love to hear your thoughts on any subject I have covered, please leave your comments below or email me at peterjemmett@aol.com


My full story - from heart attack to half marathon:

Part 1 - That fateful day. (Phase I - heart attack)  click here
Part 2 - Back home & drama at White Hart Lane. (Phase II - home recovery)  click here
Part 3 - They tried to make me go to rehab, I said yes, yes, yes please. (Phase III - cardiac rehabilitation)  click here
Part 4.1 - Getting FFITer and Harefield & Heartbreak hill revisited (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style)  click here
Part 4.2 - Walking for heart & soul & finding parkrun (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style)  click here
Part 4.3 - End of year 1 round-up and assessment (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style)  click here
Part 4.4 - Falling heart rate: fitter or hibernation? (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style)  click here
Part 4.5 - Pain in the bum, going senile and sub 30! (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style)  click here
Part 4.6 - Sub 29, attack of the AKI and 1 year old (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style)  click here
Part 4.7 - Pushing the boundaries (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style)  click here
Part 4.8 - Bling, bling, bling, two 10K's and a 5K. (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style)  click here
Part 4.9 - 3 Years On, Ragged Radnage and Pete's bolus journey (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style)  click here
Part 4.10 - Coping with COVID-19 and what they say (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style)  click here
Part 4.11 - Living in the lock-down (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style)  click here
Part 4.12 - Plus and minus 3.5 years; heart attack to half marathon! (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style)  click here
Part 4.13 - Is it worth the risk? (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style)  click here
Part 4.14 - Mixed bag through Covid (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style)  click here
Part 4.15 - Getting back in the groove (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style)  click here
Part 4.16 - Reintegrating back into society (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style)  click here
Part 4.17 - Get that crazy rhythm (the low down on AFib) (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style)  click here
Part 4.18 - The 5 year itch, time to cut the CRAP! (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style) click here

Next:
Part 4.20 - Persisting with parkrun (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style) click here
Part 4.21 - Stuck in reverse (recap of 2022) (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style) click here
Part 4.22 - Starting all over again 6 years on (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style) click here
Part 4.23 - God bless the NHS (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style) click here
Part 4.24 - What I can, when I can (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style) click here

Comments

The rest of the story

Heart Attack to 10K (part 4.1) - Getting FFITer and Harefield & Heartbreak hill revisited

Heart Attack to 10K (part 1) - That fateful day.

Heart Attack to 10K (part 4.17) - Get that crazy rhythm (the low down on AFib)

Heart Attack to 10K (part 3) - They tried to make me go to rehab, I said yes, yes, yes please

RUNNING THE RIDGE FOR HEARTS & SOULS: LOCAL CHARITY APPEAL

Heart Attack to 10K (part 4.23) - God bless the NHS

Heart Attack to 10K (part 4.20) - Persisting with parkrun

Heart Attack to 10K (part 2) - Back home & drama at White Hart Lane

Heart Attack to 10K (part 4.4) - Falling heart rate: fitter or hibernation?