Heart Attack to 10K (part 4.8) - Bling, bling, bling - two 10K's and a 5K

PART 4.8 - BLING, BLING, BLING - TWO 10K's AND A 5K.
(Phase VI - sustaining a healthy life-style)

"Nothings going to happen unless you make it happen."

It's been a while since I last hit the keyboard and a torrent of water has passed under the bridge in that time and there's a fair bit to wade through, so I best crack on and not disappoint my reader ...

Throughout Jan to May 2019 on parkrun I hit my most consistent form yet with the next 12 runs, excluding tail-walking duties, all within the 27-28 minute band (except one) including 3 consecutive PB's at 27:40, 27:30 and 27:02 - I was on fire!!, the one and only run outside this time-band during the run was 28:01, just 2 bloody seconds too slow to keep the run going but I was gobsmacked at just how similar my times were becoming no matter how I ran or what the weather threw at me, I can only put this down to the extra running I had started since Christmas.


I had started to up my distance training in preparation for my first serious 10K charity race 'the Ridge Off Roader' (ROR) in aid of Hearts & Souls and on the 1st trial run around the course with Ann in mid-February we finished in 1:15:00, far better than I would have expected especially as it was such a damp and miserable day plodding through heavy mud but it left definite scope for improvement under better conditions, it also gave us the chance to work out a strategy on how best to tackle those hills. Rather disturbing was finding a deer crying in pain with its hind leg caught in a wire fence on top of Lodge Hill, although attempting to free it we had to leave it to its fate. Once home I called the RSPCA but by then it was too late for them to take action.

I was back on the same course a week later, and although arriving late and having to take a short cut to catch up with some of the race organisers who had invited me along to take part in a promotional film for the race, this was a more a casual stop/start jog as we acted out various stretches of the run for the camera but this did enable me to actually run up Lodge hill, albeit slowly all caught for prosperity by the drone spying through the murk before it succumbed to the damp weather conditions. Thankfully there was no evidence of the deer from the week before and I truly hope it managed to free itself.



Another of these distance runs of note was tackling my heart attack walk for the 2nd time since 'that fateful day' [see part 1] on the 3rd March, jogging it for the first time. Unlike my previous walks where I was alone this time I was joined again by Ann with Paul and Josephine keeping us company on what I had now dubbed my 'Attack the Attack' run. It took us 1:34:09 to cover the 11.3km including a slight detour where I took the wrong turn but I did manage to run part way up 'heart break hill' (scene of my heart attack) in the process, now there's something I would never have believed after that first attempt.

At probably the toughest club meeting since I founded Totteridge FC some 23 years ago, I re-initiated my intentions to stand down as the club secretary [see part 4.5]. I knew if a successor wasn't found that it could spell the end of the club and no-one was particularly rushing forward, the last thing I wanted was to let down anyone down especially our young players. But, supported by Eric the club chairman who said I must put health before club, I had to stand firm as I was increasingly finding it hard to keep my mind on the tasks in hand. Eric was also looking to retire himself but agreed to stay on so not to cause too much of a disruption on the club. On the morning of the meeting I suffered some palpitations but didn't blame the meeting though the consequences may have had something to do with it.

I celebrated my 61st birthday by running my 61st parkrun recording my 19th PB in 27:30 (did you see that? 19 is 61 upside down), 10 seconds faster than the previous weeks PB - in my wildest dreams I would never have thought any of this possible pre-HA. My grand-daughter Lini baked me a massive chocolate birthday cake, the leftovers which I took to work for donations towards my 10K charity run and raised a credible £118.00, what's more I still had some left over to take home proving you can have your cake and eat it!

It was around this time that I was invited to take part in another video - with a small speaking part (I was considering applying for my Equity Card). This one was promoting the virtues of FFIT (Football Fans In Training) [see part 4.1] which I whole heartily endorse, even though it was quickly becoming apparent that I'm no Charles Dance. I'm more than happy to fly the flag for FFIT which has without doubt been a major turning point in my recovery journey, giving the continued belief, drive and determination to carry on what was first started during rehab. It would have been so hard to achieve what I have without their support. The video was recorded during the latest FFIT teams lesson at the Wycombe Wanderers training ground as part of the EFL's (English Football League) 'Day of Action', showcasing how member clubs help tackle a diverse range of social issues in their local communities. I was invited to stay for the circuit training but had to leave to pick up the Mrs from job, I am however still attending the weekly FFIT Xtra sessions run by Sam where she mixes it up with a bit of HIIT, circuits, boxing and running keeping the sessions interesting. This has now moved to an indoor venue which is so much better especially during those dark cold winter months.

If you are serious about improving your health, fitness and lifestyle then please do watch this video, it could have such a positive impact on your life!


FFIT Promotional Video 2019

My next outpatient appointment at Harefield hospital came in late March and again resulted in the same positive reaction, but as I was still showing signs of mild chest pains under exertion the Cardiologist recommended that I undergo a stress echo-cardiogram. As expected the 7 day holter ECG [see part 4.7] had failed to show any signs of AF so I was again restarted on a low dose of Bisoprolol (beta-blocker) causing my heart rate to come crashing down to the low 40's yet again.

After a few more training runs including a 16km run from Naphill which half killed me and another rerun on the ROR, a specially arranged FFIT reunion 5-a-side tournament was held on the Adams Park pitch just a week before my main event, the Ridge Off Roader 10K. Almost predictably I picked up a hip injury while trying out a fancy twist and turn in the first match which necessitated sitting out the rest of the tournament and a visit to Stoke Mandeville hospital for an X-Ray the next day. Nothing was broken and it was diagnosed as a muscle strain and I was prescribed Codeine to ease the pain, I was told however that I could run the ROR, if I felt up to it - I think only an amputation would have prevented me entering! 

With my youngest daughter Kaitlyn supporting me and meeting up with many of the 'Your Pace or Mine' (YPOM) crowd for pre-run photos, the whole atmosphere was very carnival on a perfect morning and I loved it. Dosed up with Codeine, the race started very comfortably, quickly overtaking Stuart who had been showing-boating at the start line I managed to hold a steady pace taking the hills a little easier (not much choice really). It was the final stretch back down to road to the finish that really got to me, it was so emotional running (and I was  determined to run this section) the ground I had walked returning to my car while having that heart attack 28 months earlier [see part 1], but I made it and crossed the finish line in a fairly impressive 01:08:37 earning my first race medal in 25 years, 10 months and 2 days since the 1993 Wycombe half marathon, having raised £1,444.00 in the process for my chosen charity - again my grateful thanks go to every-one who contributed meaning that over the 3 events since my heart attack I have now collected a total of £3,461.00 for Hearts & Souls and cardiac rehabilitation in South Bucks. 

My fine running form carried on to the next weekend where I smashed my parkrun PB and achieved my first (and so far only) sub 27 finishing in 26:45 and as I was enjoying such success decided to enter the Hazlemere Super 5 on the morning of the race, coming in at 29:49 to collect my second race medal of the year 3 weeks after the first.

Another sign that things were still moving in the right direction was as my blood pressure was constantly on the low side it persuaded my GP to reduce my dose of Candesartan from 8mg to 4mg. Hopefully this should help lessen the feeling of light headiness and dizzy spells when standing up.


25th June 2019 and I'm back at Harefield again for my stress echo-cardiogram, mine was the last appointment of day and according to the doc. I 'performed' extremely well, achieving the 'best' bed speed score of the day! (this may have been due to having to start from such a low resting heart-rate to achieve the exercise target). Whilst laying at a slight angle with your legs up and feet strapped to bicycle peddles and wired to an ECG you are injected with Dobutamine, a drug used to speed the heartbeat. That was a weird sensation, nothing seems to happen at first and then you start to feel your heart beat quicken as though you are running while you are still relaxing, this is then combined with a series of fast peddling while ultrasound images are taken of the heart under stress, and to be honest I didn't feel any chest pain at all during this exercise. [video of the test I underwent, unfortunately it is in French - link]

The most perturbing part of the visit however was when checking my cardiac history the cardiologist mentions that during my heart attack I had a stent 'fail', this was the first time I had heard this. I had always been a bit confused and never fully understood the sequence of events going right back to my first angiogram. It would seem back in March 2013 when I was diagnosed with unstable angina that I did receive 2 stents as I initially thought (RCA and LAD*). Following this there was an oversight where I wasn't started on anti-coagulation until it was picked up at my 6 month cardiologist appointment, this worried me at the time but my cardiologist reassured me as I was on aspirin. 

[* RCA - Right Coronary Artery   LAD - Left Anterior Descending artery]

After my heart attack in Dec 2016 I was left with the impression that was my second stent but it would now seem that the failed stent (RCA) was 're-stented'. This was probably due to a build of plaque around the original stent rather than it collapsing and it is my understanding that anti-coagulation is prescribed to prevent such an occurrence. I don't like to think the worse but it did play on my mind for quite some time that this error could have contributed to my heart attack (I know poor diet and lack of exercise wouldn't have helped) and there might be a case for negligence or malpractice and I would be interested to hear readers opinions on this matter - am I overreacting or is this there cause for concern?

As the temperatures began to rise through the summer so my parkrun times suffered and I've not been able recapture my early form. But despite that on the 14th July I entered my 3rd race, the Hell-Fire 10K. Setting out from Adams Park, the home of Wycombe Wanderers, the course takes you through the grounds of West Wycombe House, home to the Dashwood family since 1698, and out through the scenic hills and woodlands around the estate before returning past the House and back to Adams Park to finish pitch side alongside the Frank Adams stand. This was the first time I had run a course without really knowing the terrain but again really enjoyed the experience and comradeship of my fellow runners and surprised myself by finishing quicker than the ROR crossing the line 01:04:04 to pick up my 3rd medal to add to the ever growing collection of bling (and I would have beaten Warren if I haven't stopped to pick out the black jelly babies from one of the marshal's on the return leg).
damn those black jelly babies!

'bling, bling, bling'
During July I was invited to become a guinea pig in a 5 year study (Orion-4) run by the University of Oxford testing a new unlicensed cholesterol lowing drug aimed at reducing the risks of heart attacks and strokes in people already with these conditions, qualifying as I had a heart attack and a history of Hypercholesterolaemia (high cholesterol). After much deliberating I came to the conclusion that the benefits outweighed the risks and decided to go for the assessment at Wycombe hospital. This consisted of a finger prick test and it turned out that my cholesterol was now so low that I couldn't take part in the study, in fact my cholesterol was lower than many of the nurses in the department!

A week later on the 24th July was my umteenth Harefield outpatient appointment, unsurprisingly the results from the stress echo-cardiogram were excellent and they were satisfied with my medical therapy so after 2 years, 6 month's, 26 days and 13 visits I was finally discharged back to the care of my GP - no more trips to Harefield!!! .... I'm going to miss the old place.

To try and quickly round up the rest of the year to date, I again hit the 'attack the attack' run on 28th July with a few running buddies from YPOM, I've had people say they wouldn't go back to the scene of a life changing event but I'm loving doing this route, it's like sticking two fingers up at all the happened and besides it is some really nice countryside - plus this time I was awarded an extra special unique medal by Kris to celebrate the occasion!

Sadly my good friend and co-founder of Totteridge FC Eric passed away unexpectedly while on an overseas plane spotting with a friend in early August. This was a massive shock, especially after the support and compassion he had showed me in his capacity as club chairman since my heart attack and in particular my recent retirement as club secretary, it is ironic that he suffered an acute heart failure when in all the years I knew him I don't recall him ever being unwell. It just goes to show that you need to make the most of the time you have, as you never know what is around the corner.

When I was first diagnosed with heart problems back in 2013 it really did feel like the beginning of the end and I felt depressed at the thought of what the future held, compounded by the heart attack. After all I have accomplished over the intervening years since 2016 and especially achieving those 10K's without a second thought, I now have an incredible self-belief that I can go on to further successes and this is largely down to the most amazing people I have met along the way. The support and encouragement have been phenomenal from so many different quarters which kept alive my enthusiasm, and now I'm optimistic and look forward to what the future holds without that same level of fear or trepidation as I had back then.


Although I'm still counting my steps and always over-achieve the 10,000 goal, my main focus is on calorie burn where I have set a daily target of 2,800 kcal, there are the odd days where I don't manage this but with the extra running etc. I hope to over the week average out at 3,000+. So far this year, I have only failed to hit that target 4 times in 35 weeks averaging a steady 3,104 and have never fallen below the 2,800 threshold.

The idea behind this is hopefully by keeping up a constant burn rate I only need to be careful with my eating habits in order to lose/control my weight. Well, that's the theory, in reality, unlike straight after the heart attack where I was very strict, I now tend to give in a little too easy to those special 'unhealthy' treats. The net result is that my weight has been fluctuating around the 83-84kg mark for most of the year. I still believe in the theory but just need to improve my self-control and reserve the treats for special occasions and not a regular part of my diet as has become the habit.

I have no idea how these targets compare to the norm or if this is just something I have devised to suit myself. My resting heart-rate is typically around the lower 40's and what I have noticed, when on the odd occasion my heart rate is raised, my calorie burn rate tends to be a little higher as well. Maybe some-one in the know can answer, but is a calorie burn rate related to heart rate? - If you naturally have a lower heart rate does this mean you have to put more effort in to lose the same weight as some-one with a higher heart-rate?

I'll leave you with this short video taken on the 28th Sept 2019 at the start of the Wycombe Rye parkrun, watch closely and see if you can spot me ...



Heart attack to 10K pictorial record - click here

Thank-you for reading and I would love to hear your thoughts on any subject I have covered, please leave your comments below or email me at peterjemmett@aol.com


Previous blogs:
Part 1 - That fateful day. (Phase I - heart attack)  click here

Part 2 - Back home & drama at White Hart Lane. (Phase II - home recovery)  click here
Part 3 - They tried to make me go to rehab, I said yes, yes, yes please. (Phase III - cardiac rehabilitation)  click here
Part 4.1 - Getting FFITer and Harefield & Heartbreak hill revisited (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style)  click here
Part 4.2 - Walking for heart & soul & finding parkrun (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style)  click here
Part 4.3 - End of year 1 round-up and assessment (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style)  click here
Part 4.4 - Falling heart rate: fitter or hibernation? (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style)  click here
Part 4.5 - Pain in the bum, going senile and sub 30! (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style)  click here
Part 4.6 - Sub 29, attack of the AKI and 1 year old
(Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style)  click here

Part 4.7 - Pushing the boundaries (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style)  click here

Next:
Part 4.9 - 3 Years On, Ragged Radnage and Pete's bolus journey (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style)  click here 
Part 4.10 - Coping with COVID-19 and what they say (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style)  click here
Part 4.11 - Living in the lock-down (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style)  click here
Part 4.12 - Plus and minus 3.5 years; heart attack to half marathon! (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style)  click here

Part 4.13 - Is it worth the risk? (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style)  click here
Part 4.14 - Mixed bag through Covid (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style)  
click here
Part 4.15 - Getting back in the groove 
(Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style)  click here
Part 4.16 - Reintegrating back into society (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style)  click here
Part 4.17 - Get that crazy Rhythm (the low down on AFib) (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style)  click here

Part 4.18 - The 5 year itch, time to cut the CRAP! (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style) click here
 
Part 4.19 - The last word (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style) click here
Part 4.20 - Persisting with parkrun (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style) click here
Part 4.21 - Stuck in reverse (recap of 2022) (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style) click here
Part 4.22 - Starting all over again 6 years on (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style) click here
Part 4.23 - God bless the NHS (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style) click here
Part 4.24 - What I can, when I can (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style) click here

Comments

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you Andy, trust you are keeping up the FFIT way and still getting out on runs!

      Delete

Post a Comment

The rest of the story

Heart Attack to 10K (part 4.1) - Getting FFITer and Harefield & Heartbreak hill revisited

Heart Attack to 10K (part 1) - That fateful day.

Heart Attack to 10K (part 4.17) - Get that crazy rhythm (the low down on AFib)

Heart Attack to 10K (part 3) - They tried to make me go to rehab, I said yes, yes, yes please

RUNNING THE RIDGE FOR HEARTS & SOULS: LOCAL CHARITY APPEAL

Heart Attack to 10K (part 4.23) - God bless the NHS

Heart Attack to 10K (part 4.20) - Persisting with parkrun

Heart Attack to 10K (part 2) - Back home & drama at White Hart Lane

Heart Attack to 10K (part 4.4) - Falling heart rate: fitter or hibernation?